To oil or not to oil...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
REW

To oil or not to oil...

Post by REW »

That is the question.

New Doherty clutch cable to be fitted, no idea if it is nylon lined, would you lube it before fitting and if so, with engine oil?

I ask because I don't think I did lube the last cable I fitted but it was at least a decade ago and I can't remember!
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Duncan

Re: To oil or not to oil...

Post by Duncan »

I tend to give them a regular squirt of GT85 these days as I never know/remember if the cable is nylon lined or not.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I've never bothered except for the hand control exposed wire ends. As that is where cables usually fail. Single strands of wire break & oxidised soldered nipples pull through.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I don't lube my lined cables however I protect any exposed inner with grease as I use zinc plated inners not stainless ones. Unlined cables get lubed with engine oil.

You should be able to make a good guess as to whether it is lined by slowly drawing the inner through the outer whilst it is bent, you can feel the strands of the inner on an unlined cable.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

ooer I always oil mine Matron. Mind you I do have a lot of new old stock cables hanging around and a neat gadget that lets you oil them using a WD40 spray can.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
REW

Post by REW »

Thanks everyone, it seems I can oil or not, use WD40, GT85 or engine oil, bit of grease on the exposed bits and the thing will work a damn sight better than the one it will replace!
Ron

56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Ron

I generally find that after a short time WD40 just dries out rather than lubricate.

Johnny B

PS Still in Scotland, back next next week. Will message you about arrangements for Woodthorpe Rally on my return.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

WD40 is not a lubricant .....
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ron, The clutch cable for my 1955 Matchless does state, with oil nipple. 51 Matchless does not state with oil nipple and the cable is about 7" longer than the 55 43 1/2" long cable
REW

Post by REW »

Oiling a cable is dead easy really, especially when it is still off the machine and can be hung vertically. Oil nipple an interesting idea Rob.

For general info, my 1951 parts list tells me the clutch cable is 54 1/8 inches in total but the appropriate Doherty item is under 51" with 1/4" less bare cable. This means sharper bends are required - not ideal, and adjustment available also is less. I don't know what the club supplied item length is as they are currently unavailable but I may buy a universal cable and make another cable to length and hence be able to route it better.
Ron