Possible scam emails

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
G3L1946

Possible scam emails

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning to you all,

I’ve received several emails from a donasmal86@gmail.com pro-porting to have spares for my Matchless. The email is addressed ‘To you’ and appears not to be legitimate ( the grammar is a bit suspect ). I’m guessing that maybe my recent advertisement in Jampot or on the site has been used inappropriately. The mail asks me to click a link and return a message ( not attempted ).
Just a warning to look out for this and to seek any thoughts? Maybe I’m wrong?

Regards,

Steve
Last edited by G3L1946 on Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Harknett

Re: Possible scam emails

Post by Rob Harknett »

Probably trackers left on your device watching sites you visit, then target you with adverts. You cannot stop them. I clean my PC of cookies amounting to about 500 MB daily.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Rob,

Could well be. The ‘scam’ specifically stated make, model and year of my machine and the of parts I was seeking. It’s nothing new to the club ( I’ve spoken with Roy ) or to any other organisation. Just beware!

Regards,

Steve
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

G3L1946 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:25 am Hi Rob,

Could well be. The ‘scam’ specifically stated make, model and year of my machine and the of parts I was seeking. It’s nothing new to the club ( I’ve spoken with Roy ) or to any other organisation. Just beware!

Regards,

Steve
Ah, I thought it only said click the link Steve
clive

Post by clive »

another club member has had an email from the same email address, quoting the original advert in a slightly weird way probably automatic in some way. certainly likely to be a scam. I must check what was decided at the last committee meeting about how long adverts are visible to non members.
Adverts Editor
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

The part where it specified my bike model etc. looked like a bit of ‘ cut and paste ‘ job. Probably a generic message with a person’s specifics added where and how required.

Steve
clive

Post by clive »

clive wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:55 pm I must check what was decided at the last committee meeting about how long adverts are visible to non members.
Adverts Editor
Wanted ads in particular seem to be the issue, and committee decided they should automatically be deleted after they have appeared in the magazine which would usually be 6 weeks or so after they have been placed. Hopefully this will reduce the number of scam emails. Members will be able to readvertise if the mag advert has not proved successful.
This may take a while to set up as it will need some reprogramming of the system meanwhile I will manually delete some of the older adverts.
Later Edit. Manual deletion proves rather more complicated than I thought
Clive Adverts Editor.
clive
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

This morning I received an email from Simon brooks <simonbrooks297@gmail.com> relating to a wanted advert I placed in the May 2015 Jampot, it included a link to the download version, obviously I have not replied. If this is a scam how did he log into the site and download a copy?
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

39speedtwin wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:48 am .... how did he log into the site and download a copy?
You don't need to log in, you can buy old copies on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Jampot-Magazin ... n_21185405

Also we show an old copy as an example to potential members - currently this is a copy of the December 2019 edition, so it's well out of date in terms of adverts.
Corners like a Lego man
clive

Post by clive »

A quick check of simonbrooks297@gmail.com on google throws up a BSA M20 offered by him on a WD motorcyle site for a low price. Quickly dismissed as a scam by members of the site. We are going to have to be on our guard about possible scams. Personally the next one i get i am going to string along for a while just to waste their time. I got great enjoyment out of keeping a phone scammer waiting for some time whilst my old computer loaded up (.... oh dear now its doing an update) so he could prove that my computer had been infected or some such tosh. He called off in the end!🤣
clive