E10 fuel what is the fuss about?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: E10 fuel what is the fuss about?

Post by Mick D »

chappers1962 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:23 pm encourages a bacterial growth which turns the water into a highly corrosive liquid
Hi

The bacteria live at the water / fuel interface and secrete acetic acid - that's the same acetic acid as in the vinegar you shake over your fish supper.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

I wonder how modern vehicles which are E10 compliant deal with the "highly corrosive Liquid" I would have thought their more complex systems built to much closer tolerances would be more rather than less likely to be damaged.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
REW

Post by REW »

Like Roy, I have been using E10 all weekend and have put best part of 3 tankfuls through the G3 and it ran very sweetly throughout. Prior to that I had a tank of "Super Unleaded" E5 (here in the NE) at 98 octane and had thought "this is running and starting well" but in fact the local Lincolnshire E10 was every bit as good. Long term, well who knows? Perhaps keep riding or drain off in winter hibernation?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

E, it’s reet confusin😵?💫
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

clive wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:52 pm Chappers looking at your profile you record your background as a "retired arms dealer really" perhaps you could explain your knowledge base on the E5/E10 issue. Thanks
The clue is in my profile picture. I’m a time served aircraft engineer and close to aviation topics. Ethanol not only impacts the classic scene but also aviation (including microlights).

The tank on my G3LS was lined with a product from Frost. A good brief of the issue is on their website : https://www.frost.co.uk/protect-your-ve ... ed-petrol/
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Not quite the same as the ethanol issue but when returning 280 miles cold, stiff, wet, 'n tired from a very wet Cornwall Jampot rally on my G3LS (6.5 : 1 comp ratio) I put just over 2 litres of diesel in a near empty tank. I simply couldn't be ar*ed to do anything other than brim the tank with 4 star and take a chance and it seemed to run better than ever.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

chappers1962 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:38 pm
clive wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:52 pm Chappers looking at your profile you record your background as a "retired arms dealer really" perhaps you could explain your knowledge base on the E5/E10 issue. Thanks
The clue is in my profile picture. I’m a time served aircraft engineer and close to aviation topics. Ethanol not only impacts the classic scene but also aviation (including microlights).

The tank on my G3LS was lined with a product from Frost. A good brief of the issue is on their website : https://www.frost.co.uk/protect-your-ve ... ed-petrol/
Thanks for clarifying your knowledge base. There was so much misinformation about valve recession when we went from leaded to unleaded fuel i wanted to be sure about sources over E10. I will take you advice and drain tanks over winter. All i can get in London at the moment is E10 and that is irregular!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
db133

Post by db133 »

Whats at the pumps to use ?

Price ?

MPG's/cc's

kind regards x ;-)
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

In most parts of the U.K. Esso Supreme does not contain alcohol, I have used this in my 1954 MG and my Matchless’s, without problems, however I do still drain the tanks for Winter.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

HIi Dudley,
Since September all pump petrol now contains ethanol, Esso Supreme and the super petrols contain 5% and all regular petrol 10%.
So if you still have pre ethanol fuel lines and seals watch out for problems. MikeM.