Age Related Registration

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Martin.S

Age Related Registration

Post by Martin.S »

I have built up a G5 and obtained the V5 for it which is dated 1981! So I've got the dating certificates and the frame was built in 1961 and the gearbox and engine similar. Applying for an age related registration I got this reply (after a long time!) :-

Thank you for your email 22/07/21. I have looked at the model code for G5 and unfortunately, this was never provided to the DVLA. As there is no other evidence to suggest the vehicle was first registered in 1961, the registration will remain as an ‘F’ mark. I have arranged to return your V5C registration certificate . This should arrive with you soon.

I do not understand this.
The DVLA officer involved does not answer my requests and his phone continually engaged and so I don't know how to proceed - any one?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Age Related Registration

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Martin.S wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm Thank you for your email 22/07/21. I have looked at the model code for G5 and unfortunately, this was never provided to the DVLA. As there is no other evidence to suggest the vehicle was first registered in 1961,
The age related registration should be appropriate to the date of manufacture (as per your dating certificate) and not the date of first registration.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi Martin ;
if you are a club member , get in touch with the club archivist who should be able to sort it out for you , he can deal direct with dvla and get your bikes details corrected and a correct age related number issued plus the old reg number cancelled etc .

the bike will be dated according to date of frame by its number against the copy of the clubs records .

ian
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Well Ian , Roy tells me that this isn't true and that neither he nor the Club Archivist have a direct contact with the DVLA.
So I'm on my own. I've put in complaint with the DVLA - what else could I do?
raffles

Post by raffles »

I have just received an age related registration from the DVLA the club provided documented proof of
manufacture and although it was not an AMC machine the club also provided a dating certificate all
of which were accepted by the DVLA .
As far as your own problem is concerned.It is illegal to have a registration number that shows the vehicle
to be younger than it actually is. So you need to get the club to give you a dating certificate with all of bikes
correct details. Then reapply to the DVLA with a letter explaining that you have the wrong year registration
explaining the number mixup and you should have no trouble.With the paperwork you submit you should also
send proof of identity. The clubs documents do work when used correctly and also a dating certifiate is
only valid for one year from the date issued
best of luck
Tony
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I've had to apply for age related registrations for both my Matchless machines... a '54 (model) G3/LS and a '56 G80CS. The dating certificates supplied by the club for both machines were accepted without query by the DVLA. The registration document for the G3 states that the "declared date of manufacture" was 1953, which it was ((September '53 but a ''54 model) and the date of first registration to be 15/06/2018.
The dates for the G80CS are 1956 and 01/02/2020. Both have been given non-transferable registrations, "569XVB" and "741XVJ" respectively.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi martin , will send you PM
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Up Date - I've just received a call from a Andrew at the DVLA concerning my complaint. He's saying that an age related number is attached to the vehicle from when it was first registered, now there is no evidence that this frame was registered before 1981 so that's the number it will get.
The DVLA website states that the Age related number is referenced to the newest major component - this is in fact 1961.
So I've asked him to show me where it states the fact that it's registered to the first registration - so he's referring it back to his technical people!
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

raffles wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:52 pm It is illegal to have a registration number that shows the vehicle
to be younger than it actually is.
Not strictly true, Tony. The rules prevent you transferring a registration number to a vehicle to make it appear younger than it is for obvious reasons. Back in 1971/72 I recall the MOD selling off a large number of vehicles including many Morris Travellers. I remember seeing a compound on the docks in Hull full of them - all with K registrations. A mate of mine is restoring an ex-RAF James Comet that was 'demobbed' at the same time and he is trying to recover its K registration as it's part of the bike's history.
Personally I couldn't get worked up about the bike being registered in 1981, as indeed it was. You'll still qualify for tax/MOT exemption and can put a black and white plate on should you wish. You always have the option of being able to transfer a non-dating registration to it for a few hundred quid ;)
There is a danger that if the DVLA subsequently take the view that the bike is an assembly of parts and not a legitimate classic, it may never become tax/MOT exempt.
Good luck with your efforts.

Steve