The new centre stand from he who must remain nameless

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

The new centre stand from he who must remain nameless

Post by Taid »

Is it possible to get the bike up on the modified stand while astride?

I am at my most unstable when getting off, balancing the machine while standing on one leg and pulling the other back over the saddle is rather multitasking ...

I have had a couple of tries (obviously unsuccessful, so far} .. is it worth keeping trying?
Last edited by Taid on Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
ajscomboman

Re: The new centre stand from he who must remain nameless

Post by ajscomboman »

Taid wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:43 pm Is it possible to the bike up on the modified stand while astride?

I am at my most unstable when getting off, balancing the machine while standing on one leg and pulling the other back over the saddle is rather multitasking ...

I have had a couple of tries (obviously unsuccessful, so far} .. is it worth keeping trying?
The answer is yes but only if you are of a certain stature, like he that is nameless! :D If you don't possess such an athletic type body (shotputter!) the simple solution would be to have a side stand that you can flick down and then dismount before placing on the centre stand.
REW

Post by REW »

I put the side stand down before getting off (or on) any bike these days. However, it would be best to arrange the side stand spring on your 350 to hold the stand down when you flip it forward, rather than have it self retract.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

ajscomboman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 pm
Taid wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:43 pm Is it possible to the bike up on the modified stand while astride?

The answer is yes but only if you are of a certain stature, like he that is nameless! :D If you don't possess such an athletic type body (shotputter!) the simple solution would be to have a side stand that you can flick down and then dismount before placing on the centre stand.
Yep no problem but it takes practice.
Roy
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thanks to all who have replied ..

At, least, I now know it is do-able ..

Re side stand .. have tried both positions .. both always returned the stand ..

Maybe the stand itself is not stand ard ..

To REW .. I find it easier to get on and start it when it's on the centre stand, then sort myself out, roll it off the stand and ride away ..

When getting off, I often put the side stand down as soon as I am off, then psych myself up to put it on the centre .. (less psyching is required with the new stand .. )

I've acquired an exercise bike to try and get some of the strength I used to have back into my pins ...
___

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It is possible to get the prop stand to stay down in place, the spring location on the bottom rail has to be forward of the pivot bolt. Some rails are drilled just aft of the front frame stud other aren't. If yours isn't then you can make a mounting plate from alloy and bolt it to the engine stud or the frame stud.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've lost over a stone in the last two to three months, from 172-174lbs to currently 156lbs. I hsan't be trying to use the centre stand while astride the bike - although it is excellent!

I didn't have a sidestand for decades until a couple of years ago. I mostly follow the sidestand then centre stand for dismounting and the roll off centre stand after starting.

You're not on your own with this.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Agreed! Side stand out to dismount,start on centre stand then roll forward and away! Better than falling over in an undignified heap!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Taid

Post by Taid »

Having still been unable to get the bike on the centre stand before climbing off, I have been trying to put the side stand out while astride the machine, so far unsuccessfully.

Is there a knack, or something I am missing .. it seems so far in, under the primary chaincase, I can't hook my shoe on it ..
___

clive

Post by clive »

Taid wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:27 pm Having still been unable to get the bike on the centre stand before climbing off, I have been trying to put the side stand out while astride the machine, so far unsuccessfully.

Is there a knack, or something I am missing .. it seems so far in, under the primary chaincase, I can't hook my shoe on it ..
I have an extension on all my sidestands, some came with them, those that did not I have welded part of a six inch nail to.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix