Teledraulic Fork Spring Rattle G80 Rigid

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Iron Head

Teledraulic Fork Spring Rattle G80 Rigid

Post by Iron Head »

Not sure about the causes and cures but my ‘48 G80 rigid suffers the above particularly at certain rpm’s. I can also reproduce it by tapping the offside shroud with the bike on the side stand. Do I just live with it or is it perhaps a sign of something loose internally requiring investigation?

Thanks

Iron Head
Mick D

Re: Teledraulic Fork Spring Rattle G80 Rigid

Post by Mick D »

Hi

On later models there are three rubber sleeves on each stanchion preventing metal to metal contact with the spring, maybe identify the interference points on your bike and wrap with duck tape or heat shrink to eliminate them.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

A length of bicycle inner tube fits nicely over the stanchions and inside the springs but it does mean stripping the forks.............. :(
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Probably clutching at straws Spriddler but could I cut said tube lengthwise, wrap it around, Superglue the cut edges together and then try and slide it up inside the shrouds?!

Iron Head
clive

Post by clive »

Cannot see how that can work. The shrouds overlap each other...... unless you drop the stanchions down, in which case you might as well drop them out and do it properly.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Iron Head wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:31 pm Probably clutching at straws Spriddler but could I cut said tube lengthwise, wrap it around, Superglue the cut edges together and then try and slide it up inside the shrouds?!

Iron Head
No, as Clive mentioned, not if the rattle is caused by the springs against the stanchions because the stanchions aren't accessible from the 'outside'.
Or are you thinking that the rattle is from contact between the shroud and the chrome slider extension? If so, are there witness marks on the chrome extensions when the forks are distended to their lowest point i.e. with a box under the c/case and the front wheel off the ground?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:00 pm No, as Clive mentioned, not if the rattle is caused by the springs against the stanchions because the stanchions aren't accessible from the 'outside'.
Or are you thinking that the rattle is from contact between the shroud and the chrome slider extension? If so, are there witness marks on the chrome extensions when the forks are distended to their lowest point i.e. with a box under the c/case and the front wheel off the ground?
If the rattle is from the shroud and slider extension the bicycle tube trick is not going to sort it. There may be a leather washer missing from above the fork spring which will hold the shroud better centralised and in place.
On further thought you don't say the year of your G80 rigid. Late 40s early 50s, the shroud and headlight ears were held in place with 3 long screws which passed through the lower yoke with a ring below and a threaded ring above. They are a pig to fit and if the screws have come loose or they are left out the top shroud can rattle around. This will definitely need removal of the stanchion to check. Later lower yokes had a ridge underneath which centred the shroud and it was otherwise just held in place by the spring and leather washer.
clive
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

clive wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:45 am you don't say the year of your G80 rigid
Iron Head wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:28 pm my ‘48 G80 rigid
Keep up Clive - :roll: :rofl:

Whatever the cause of the noise, it will need the forks removing from the yokes. Once the contact points have been identified it's just a matter of preventing metal to metal contact there. The rubber sleeves are OK but duck tape is more likely to stay in place and can be applied around the springs to prevent contact with the slider extensions or the sleeves.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Doh :headbang: well the comment about the long screws holds i think!
clive
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Like Spriddler, I use bicycle inner tube.

Johnny B