Chain oilers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Re: Chain oilers

Post by clive »

At that rate, spread everywhere, my AJS wont be the only bike leaving its calling card.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Well, other things intervened (fuel delivery problems) and I spent time unnecessarily preparing for a return trip from Woodthorpe without local fuelling. In the event, both Alford fuel stations were "wet".

Oiler is now on hold; better things to do as eldest son has found work but it requires re-location. With Dad as the only driver in the house......I don't really care as too pleased for him.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It seems odd some owners are fussy about chain oilers. oiling the chain etc etc. For them it has always been everything must be correct. They probably have not even got an instruction book for their bike, to know what is correct. In my book it states rear chain lubrication is Grease. ! !
anthony kosecki

Post by anthony kosecki »

Having read the correspondence to date, here's my contribution for what it's worth:
1) Spray-on lubes contain solvents which help the grease come out of the can and then to carry said grease into the links and rollers, where the solvent evaporates. The solvent also carries with it any dirt and grit residing on the chain.
2) Spray-on lubes tend to be 'sticky' thereby helping dirt and grit to accumulate and therefore make the situation worse.
3) Generally speaking our pride and joys tend to be well maintained and are not over-stressed (unlike their owners). As a result, chains don't end up like knicker elastic so an annual soak/wash in petrol or paraffin followed by a hot soak in Linklife or some such is more than adequate.
Happy to be corrected,
Tony
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Tony & Rob H

As I mentioned earlier:

"In the past I used "Linklyfe" and still have a can of it. I used the technique that Mick D has previously described but prefer to use paraffin for cleaning. As I mentioned earlier, the pig nose MZ two stroke had a fully enclosed rear chain and needed almost no attention at all with the most minimal wear."

I in the early days, including riding daily and at least 6/7 times a year between North Yorkshire and London - I did very little chain maintenance. I can recall removing a link because the rear chain had worn to the point of no further scope to adjust!

I don't see the point in repeating the hapless approach from when in my early twenties. I have never used the spray on stuff on the Matchless or bicycle, nor would I. I do for the Yamaha; I don't know why. Perhaps because I had no experience of the modern chains, Yamaha recommend removal, cleaning & lubrication every 400 miles (as mentioned earlier) and never approaching 100mph on the Matchless or the bicycle; the dangers of chain failure are much less in consequence.

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Resurrected thread. I'll be fitting a Loobman cheap thing on the Yamaha now I've replaced the sprockets and chain. I's basically the same thing as Ron Walker posted much earlier but instead of using an oil can you press a button on the oil holder. Less kneeling down and spinning wheels.

The Yamaha Haynes manual recommends SAE 30 for the job.

Also now fitted an electric power take off and combined USB charger to the handlebars.

I may have found someone to line ream the timing side bush on the Matchless, fingers crossed.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Coming up to Jedborough soon! expect to see your matchless there!?
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Alan

Unfortunately not. It's been a real problem to find someone to line ream the timing side bush. With the £'100s already spent I'm not going to take a short cut.

I'll be on the Yamahaha. I'm using it as a testbed. I'll now be ordering a handlebar USB power supply as it's fine on the Yam and if the Loobman works OK get one for the Matchy.
Johnny B
ketusur

Post by ketusur »

i dont use any oilers , i just use either WURTH HHS2000 or RECA LONG LUBE to lube my chains , only need to turn wheel and give it a squirt around the outer chain and all good .
ketusur

Post by ketusur »

It's been a real problem to find someone to line ream the timing side bush.