Lucas pre focus headlamp bulb

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
g5wqian

Re: Lucas pre focus headlamp bulb

Post by g5wqian »

they can be a bit fiddly if the holder on the headlamp hasnt been made very well and the tangs dont like lining up when you put the cap back on .

basically you should just need to drop the bulb into the headlight and have the little cutout lined up with the rib in the holder and then when the the spring loaded cap with the wires in goes on it will only line up with the tangs in one place , because the spacings are all different .
youll have to fiddle a little to get the cap tangs into the slots in the holder but once its gone in you just turn the cap to lock it and it should all be good .

theres a fair amount of lamps made these days that have bulb holders that dont line up very well with the caps so you may have to make sure you have one that is good .

sometimes the bulb holder on lamp doesnt have very good slot alignment and sometimes it the cap at fault .

i had this recently on an ariel catseye lamp and i had to nip a little bit off one tang in the headlight so that the cap tangs would locate .

if your tangs do line up then your half way there , i find best way to put the cap on the holder, is to pull and grip the wires taught in your fingers so the springs are compressed and then fit the cap over the tangs and twist and lock the cap into place , then let the tension go .

usually you should just be able to push and twist the cap to lock it in but it doesnt allways work like that these days im afriad due to lacking quality standards .

hope you sort it easily .
ian
Reynard24

Re: Lucas pre focus headlamp bulb

Post by Reynard24 »

Most of the pattern pre-focus bulb holders are rubbish, the cables are too thin and the contacts do not line up with the bulb. Better to scour ebay or autojumbles for original items and rewire them. They also align much better with the reflectors and should not need compressing too much when fitting.