Bodge of the week.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
dave16mct

Bodge of the week.

Post by dave16mct »

Bodge of the week: My speedo stopped working and when I looked, the cable had falled off the speedo. OK I looked at the alloy nut which had very liitle thread left. I removed the speedo to investigate and found that a lot of thread was missing from the speedo part. (I don't know why this wasn't picked up by the speedo repairer). I measured it and found it to be M12 x 1mm . Didn't have that die so.....so to save ruining another speedo drive I put 4 cuts down the nut with a junior hacksaw. Pushed it onto the speedo and clamped it there with an old heavy duty Jubilee clip. It isn't seen as its in the headlamp. All seems to be OK now!
Dave.
willowbedone

Re: Bodge of the week.

Post by willowbedone »

Sounds like a good fix Don't forget cable ties are a good modern bodge and can sort most things
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Rather than referring to it as a bodge why not call it engineering in 'history' ;) :)

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

dave16mct wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:49 pm Bodge of the week: My speedo stopped working and when I looked, the cable had falled off the speedo. OK I looked at the alloy nut which had very liitle thread left. I removed the speedo to investigate and found that a lot of thread was missing from the speedo part. (I don't know why this wasn't picked up by the speedo repairer). I measured it and found it to be M12 x 1mm . Didn't have that die so.....so to save ruining another speedo drive I put 4 cuts down the nut with a junior hacksaw. Pushed it onto the speedo and clamped it there with an old heavy duty Jubilee clip. It isn't seen as its in the headlamp. All seems to be OK now!
Dave.
Dave You don't mention the bike but if it was AMC the thread is very unlikely to be M12. A recent bike I sold had a PO bodge of a cable tie holding on the rear cable nut, only in this case I was the PO in question! :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The bike's a '60 G12 and the speedo's a chronometric. I had read somewhere that Jaeger were French and used metric threads. Anyway I thought you'd like the....creative engineering? ;)
Dave
clive

Post by clive »

Not sure about the thread form for the cable, but at one time they made some speedos with the last part of the thread missing. Of course if yours has visible but worn out thread that is different. A lot of the internal parts are BA and the studs at the bottom of the case accept a metric nut but it is not quite the correct thread form. This means that you can try to reduce the vibration on fork mounted speedos by placing a rubber pad between the bracket and case and hold it on with metric nylock nuts. The speedo will last longer and the mileage is less likely to rotate backwards if you are giving the bike some stick. Another engineering solution.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix