Removing Ethanol

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Removing Ethanol

Post by Taid »

Another trivia post, I'm afraid..

Trawling the net, as you do, I came across mention of removing Ethanol from petrol ..

The downside appears to be that it reduces the octane rating, so more liable to pink in high compression engines.

Doesn't appear to be illegal .. (surprise, surprise)

Wondering if anyone on here has looked into it
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
dave16mct

Re: Removing Ethanol

Post by dave16mct »

Yes , (but nothing trivial about it) its a messy process. I'm presuming you mean the 'washing' out of the ethanol, them syphoning off the petrol from above the water/ethanol mixture. No problem with the octane rating as you can just add an octane booster such as the Castrol one. Not sure I can be bothered doing it but its so annoying that its come to this. I've noticed that when filled up for a long run fuel breathes out of the cap breather hole and its like sticky marmalade. Really hard to get off, only WD40 or similar will shift it. That's with E5, it'll be a lot worse with E10.
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

dave16mct wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:49 pm fuel breathes out of the cap breather hole and its like sticky marmalade
Hi

I've never observed this and I use E5 all of the time, (all of my tanks are unlined), - are you sure it's not a product of the fuel and a tank lining?

The worst thing about ethanol removed from fuel is the lingering aftertaste of petrol it leaves - even if you mix it with coke :rofl:

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:22 pm
The worst thing about ethanol removed from fuel is the lingering aftertaste of petrol it leaves - even if you mix it with coke :rofl:

Regards Mick
The secret there is to rinse with meths ..
___

dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The tank's unlined and I always put super in, preferably Shell or Esso. It only happens when I fill right up to the neck for a long run. Its a gummy deposit, very sticky.
Dave.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dave16mct wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:34 pm The tank's unlined and I always put super in, preferably Shell or Esso. It only happens when I fill right up to the neck for a long run. Its a gummy deposit, very sticky.
Dave.
The brown sticky crap is probably old leaded petrol that has tarnished and lined the tank. I had this on a L/W that had not been lined or used for a few yrs. The marmalade sticky crap went through the carb leaving a snail trail, wrapped itself around the inlet valve etc. What a right bloody mess to clean off. I couldn't believe the inside of the head and valve when I opened up the motor.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:57 pm The brown sticky crap is probably old leaded petrol
Hi

Does it look like this? - This is a carb that sat for about 20 years presumably with the fuel evaporating over time:
Crud.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It reminds me of a post from bjork from 5 years ago with comprehensive instructions of how he does/did remove ethanol.

See here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16391
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Taid

Post by Taid »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:31 pm It reminds me of a post from bjork from 5 years ago with comprehensive instructions of how he does/did remove ethanol.

See here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16391
Put some vegetable food colouring in the water to make it easier to see the division
___

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:26 pm
ajscomboman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:57 pm The brown sticky crap is probably old leaded petrol
Hi

Does it look like this? - This is a carb that sat for about 20 years presumably with the fuel evaporating over time:
Crud.png
Regards Mick
Yep pretty much, almost like Wellseal that's been open to the air and gone extremely tacky!