Removing Ethanol

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Re: Removing Ethanol

Post by Taid »

Here is the youtube post I found ..

A bit of a fiddle, depending on how much you use .....

___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Rob, that's exactly what it's like, Wellseal and just as hard to remove. I don't think mine's as bad as your lightweight was and I hope it's just the very top of the tank inside that had the old fuel remaining. Seems to happen when I fill it right up. It's also revealed a tiny crack at the top/ front so its busy eating the paint off there. Hay ho.
Dave.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dave16mct wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 am Rob, that's exactly what it's like, Wellseal and just as hard to remove. I don't think mine's as bad as your lightweight was and I hope it's just the very top of the tank inside that had the old fuel remaining. Seems to happen when I fill it right up. It's also revealed a tiny crack at the top/ front so its busy eating the paint off there. Hay ho.
Dave.
It was the most disgusting mess I've ever had to remove from a motor. It was around the carb slide making it stick, basically everywhere that it could be sucked in and atomised! Once clear it never ever came back and did no harm whatso ever.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I did the test for ethanol level and the food additive tip could be good as it would make it easier to see the dividing line.

Johnny B
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

When removing ethanol using the add water technique, it strips the fuel of lots of other useful additives. I found the best approach is to ride and fill up regularly and empty the tank and drain the carb in winter.