Tank repair / repaint

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Pharisee

Tank repair / repaint

Post by Pharisee »

The paint has lifted around the filler on one of my petrol tanks. The tank is rarely more than half filled, so I think vapour is escaping from the filler neck joint with the tank and has got under the paint.
I'm looking for someone to repair(?) and repaint the tank. Any recommendations would be gratefully received.
John
IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Andy51

Re: Tank repair / repaint

Post by Andy51 »

I had pinholes in my tank above the lower seam, with the paint blistering like yours, so I would agree that petrol or petrol vapour has seeped out. I was told that the cure was brazing the holes followed by a complete internal reseal with a modern ethanol-resistant product. Unfortunately the only way of assuring a completely clean inside was to cut out the bottom of the tank and blast it clean, then weld it back together. Not a huge problem - as Eric Morecombe used to say, you can't see the join - but it adds to the cost and could cause problems with a chrome plated tank. I used welder, blaster and painter down here in Berks and Wilts, a bit far for you but can give you details if interested. Andy
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Glen David see Jampot adverts! He does a first class job.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

39speedtwin wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:11 pm Glen David see Jampot adverts! He does a first class job.
I emailed Mr. David last week, but he didn't reply, so I phoned him this morning. He was somewhat less than enthusiastic and told me to phone back in a few weeks. I'll find someone else, thank you. There must be a lot of people out there if I can find them, hence the request for recommendations.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Andy51 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:30 am I had pinholes in my tank above the lower seam, with the paint blistering like yours, so I would agree that petrol or petrol vapour has seeped out. I was told that the cure was brazing the holes followed by a complete internal reseal with a modern ethanol-resistant product. Unfortunately the only way of assuring a completely clean inside was to cut out the bottom of the tank and blast it clean, then weld it back together. Not a huge problem - as Eric Morecombe used to say, you can't see the join - but it adds to the cost and could cause problems with a chrome plated tank. I used welder, blaster and painter down here in Berks and Wilts, a bit far for you but can give you details if interested. Andy
The tank is off my '71 Bonneville and the filler neck is only "swaged" onto the main tank, not welded. I've run a bead of solder around the joint. It's not exactly pretty, but I'm fairly sure it will keep the vapours inside the tank where they belong. :D
20210708_125224.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi John

Sorry to see the damage to your paintwork, I could give you a recommendation for a re-spray but I fear the NE of Scotland would be a tad too far.

When I retired and took up restoration as a hobby I found it helpful to contact my local vintage vehicle societies and museums with regard to sourcing agencies that could carry out work I am unable to, I now have a comprehensive portfolio of people to contact.

Just a thought

Regards Mick

PS - There's a guy who advertises in the back of the glossy mags with a photo of a T160 tank, may be worth a call, I'll try and find his details, (pretty sure his quote was £450 a few years ago :o )

http://www.vale-paints.co.uk/
Last edited by Mick D on Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

My aluminium tank made by Holtworks has the neck and cap glued to the tank, if this is the problem seal it with Araldite which is petrol proof, I am not sure about the similar ones.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:28 pm
When I retired and took up restoration as a hobby I found it helpful to contact my local vintage vehicle societies and museums with regard to sourcing agencies that could carry out work I am unable to, I now have a comprehensive portfolio of people to contact.
The guy who painted the tank originally and who has done a lot of the paintwork on my other bikes has succumbed to the economic pressures of Covid and is no longer in business, unfortunately. :cry: :cry:
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Appreciate it won’t help the problem now but I have ‘fashioned’ Viton sealing rings for the Ceandess-type and quick release filler caps on the G80 and G80CS and my Benelli quick release so as they only vent through the vent hole. Good luck getting the paintwork sorted.

Iron Head
bitza

Post by bitza »

Try Dent Doctor based in Aldrige West Midlands ,
Www.originaldentdoctors.co.uk
01922 320134
07727 927134