2LS Conversion - retaining nut advice

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Andy51

2LS Conversion - retaining nut advice

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, I am working on a 2LS front brake conversion for my '54 18S, using a Honda brake plate. All is going well so far, but I would appreciate thoughts on a replacement Nut Locating Front Brake Cover Plate. This has plenty of slack on the spigot that locates the back plate, to allow it to be centralised - the routine of loosening the nut, applying the brake to centralise, then tightening up. This works fine for the original SLS brake, but in a 2LS brake the shoes are individually adjustable. My thoughts are to turn up a new nut with a close-fitting spigot; the brake shoes have been lathe-turned to fit as well as possible, then achieve shoe centralisation by adjusting the shoes individually. The alternative is to use the original idea, roughly centralise the plate with unadjusted shoes, then re-adjust using the exterior adjusting set-up, then centralise again according to the manual. Honda use a close-fitting arrangement, as do BSA on their 8 in single-sided brake, but forum posts have stressed the importance of proper front brake centralisation. What does the body of the Kirk think? Cheers, Andy
Rob Harknett

Re: 2LS Conversion - retaining nut advice

Post by Rob Harknett »

Can't help, except comment. I have 2LS front brake in a 63 / 14 CSR. But used a complete Suzuki front wheel. The wheel looks very much like a 63/14 CSR wheel but with 2LS & no problems fitting it.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Andy

If I were performing this modification I'd turn a new sliding fit nut, there's no advantage that I can see in having two methods of centralisation.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

I have a Suzuki T500 twin leading shoe on one bike with the original spindle, the brake plate is held as a sliding fit. The advantage is that once the shoes are adjusted they will remain so whereas if there are two methods of adjustment Sods Law says they will become misadjusted.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, thanks for your advice. I will be turning a new sliding fit nut this weekend. Andy