Possible Scam

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
31csr611

Possible Scam

Post by 31csr611 »

I posted a "wanted" ad in the Jampot about 6 weeks ago for a front wheel for my 1952 AJS 18S. A few days ago I received an email from someone called Henry Criddle. He said that due to ill health he was breaking his 1952 AJS 18S, and would be willing to sell me the front wheel. He sent me a photo of the bike, which looked in immaculate condition, so my first thought was why are you breaking the bike and not selling it complete. Anyway he agreed on £100.00 but somehow his emails did not ring true, the wording was strange and one was timed at 3 am. I went on Google and sure enough found the exact photo that he had sent on a site in Queensland Australia, for a bike that they had sold a couple of years back.
So a warning to members, if you get contacted 6 weeks after you placed an ad be careful, it could be a scam.
David Powell, Norfolk.
Reynard24

Re: Possible Scam

Post by Reynard24 »

It is a scam, I had a similar reply to an ad I placed in “The Gun” for a Royal Enfield but the grammar and tone of my reply were so obviously fraudulent I simply deleted it.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Well spotted, and maybe it’s time that we looked at the way adverts become viewable to non members. Rather than them becoming viewable after a six week period, I am sure that our webmaster could arrange for them to be deleted at the end of the period and if your advert is unfulfilled you simply re-advertise for a further period.
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

we could simply make adverts only viewable to members which may reduce the likelyhood of a scam response.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
les ward

Post by les ward »

I had someone contact me with exactly the same scenario, but for a petrol tank wanted ad in the Jampot. A Google image search showed the picture (of a complete bike) came from a Bonham's sale in 2009. Clearly a scam as the complete bike was worth a substantial amount, so why break it. Looks like a scammer is going through our wanted ads.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Imagine these scenarios:

Your membership has just expired, you've sold the bike but have a few spares left to get rid of. You advertise them on Jampot.com as a guest paying the fee, but you never see your advert as we've changed the system to be members only. How would you feel not knowing whether your advert was visible or not?

Secondly:
You're no longer a member, but still have a few parts in the garage. A member displays a wanted add for a desperately needed part that you have - but of course you'll never know it's wanted as you can't see the adverts and the member never gets that part they need....

The adverts display system can be changed to whatever the membership desire - but I would advise people to carefully consider all sides before making a decision.
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Agree with Eamonn, ask yourself, have you ever been able to stop scams via any means. don't tell them you are on to them..... oppps you just have
Ashampoo_Snap_03 July 2021_10h25m54s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Question before making a suggestion, how long are ads live for? I probably already know but want to be sure.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

At the moment there are adverts going back to mid March 2021. On the forum back to Oct 2020
clive

Post by clive »

Eamonn wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:51 pm Imagine these scenarios:

Your membership has just expired, you've sold the bike but have a few spares left to get rid of. You advertise them on Jampot.com as a guest paying the fee, but you never see your advert as we've changed the system to be members only. How would you feel not knowing whether your advert was visible or not?

Secondly:
You're no longer a member, but still have a few parts in the garage. A member displays a wanted add for a desperately needed part that you have - but of course you'll never know it's wanted as you can't see the adverts and the member never gets that part they need....

The adverts display system can be changed to whatever the membership desire - but I would advise people to carefully consider all sides before making a decision.
The first point from Eamonn is one I am aware of and for some years I have notified non members who advertise that they will not be able to see their advert until 3 weeks after it appears in the magazine, and I include a screen shot of the ad as it currently appears on the website to members. so this scenario is not really an issue.

The second point currently the ex-member can see the ad 3 weeks after it has appeared in the mag but then of course so can the scammer.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix