Dynamo help

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
electrajohnt

Re: Dynamo help

Post by electrajohnt »

I understand about the latching not being required, I was taken by the neatness of the switch/light. But uncontrolled aspect seems to be still there, Ian’s schematic shows the take off upstream of the voltage controller, does that not count?
I will try to find similar device with normal 6volt bulb.
Again your advice is very much appreciated and seems to be helping others as well.
Regards
JohnT
JohnT
Groily

Post by Groily »

electrajohnt wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:27 pm Ian’s schematic shows the take off upstream of the voltage controller, does that not count?
I can see why it looks that way at one level, but no, it doesn't count! The F wire is the feed for the Field, and that feed comes from the voltage regulator.
From rest, the field coil isn't being fed and the dynamo has to get going on that pesky remanent (semi-permanent!) magnetism - if it will. When it does get going, extra juice is then fed to the field coil through the F terminal to fire up the electro-magnet. (From the dynamo, yes, but via the regulator, where the D and F wires are kept connected right through until the voltage needs regulating).
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If you rewire the hooter into that circuit instead of direct from the battery you already have a non-latching button and a current load.
Just ignore the complaints from the neighbours. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
electrajohnt

Post by electrajohnt »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 am If you rewire the hooter into that circuit instead of direct from the battery you already have a non-latching button and a current load.
As has been the case many times in my life I am easily led.This is one time I hope it is the right direction. I will give that a go Spriddler. I have spent ages looking for that simple solution if it works.
John T
JohnT
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

electrajohnt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:32 pm
SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 am If you rewire the hooter into that circuit instead of direct from the battery you already have a non-latching button and a current load.
As has been the case many times in my life I am easily led. This is one time I hope it is the right direction. I will give that a go Spriddler. I have spent ages looking for that simple solution if it works.
John T
:oops: It was just an idle thought, John, but in theory it should do the same as fitting a separate button and a bulb.
I haven't thought it through, but I'd be inclined to put a fuse in one of the hooter wires as they draw a fair bit of current, if only momentarily. On a 6v system maybe start with a 5amp fuse and if it blows go up to 10 or max 15amp.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:54 pm It was just an idle thought, John, but in theory it should do the same as fitting a separate button and a bulb.
Hmm

When the bike is charging normally I'm not sure the regulator would thank you for messing with the field coil every time the horn is functioned, also the normal type of horn button completes a circuit to ground so it's not a direct equivalent of the one shown in the modified circuit diagram.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:48 pm Hmm

When the bike is charging normally I'm not sure the regulator would thank you for messing with the field coil every time the horn is functioned, also the normal type of horn button completes a circuit to ground so it's not a direct equivalent of the one shown in the modified circuit diagram.

Regards Mick
For as long as I can remember the only time any of my motorbikes' squeaky hooters have been used is at the MOT but the Matchless doesn't even get that now.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I remember being castigated on this forum (steady) for referring to my horn usage (ooeer).

I do use it for the correct purpose, an audible warning of approach. Say, hump back bridge.

Although the fact is that the Matchless isn't the quietest and anyone who doesn't hear it is unlikely to hear the horn either!

Johnny B
electrajohnt

Post by electrajohnt »

Groily wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:01 am That's neat, that is Ian! Like it - and not seen it before. Beats stray bits of wire any day!
Hello Gents,
I have just ordered a cheap horn button. I don’t have a suitable bulb holder (no where to put it on the bike that is unobtrusive anyway) so was thinking about soldering one of these in line and shrouding with shrink wrap insulation. Your comments or alternatives would be appreciated. My concern is how often would they fail and how would I know. A bulb of course would indicate failure, if anyone has suggestions for a bulb arrangement that will not detract from the bikes appearance that also would be welcome.
Regards
JohnT
78D15AE8-2922-45B0-AFB9-AC4EFE4B22B4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnT
Groily

Post by Groily »

Can't see why that wouldn't be very tidy and do the job nicely. Don't know about failure risk though. Apart from the horn push, you'd never know there was anything different, and loads of horn pushes get added for cutting out mags etc, so not I would think anything to frighten the purist. Far less intrusive as an add-on than indicators, gizmo power points etc, so what's not to like?
If doing it with a bulb, I'd try to use an instrument or main-beam warning light unit I think - I'm pondering it for one of mine as I said.
(I'd probably drill a hole in the headlamp or maybe toolbox somewhere, but I can see why a lot of folk wouldn't be up for that! Depends on one's view of what detracts from appearance really.)