Prop stand

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chris goldson

Prop stand

Post by chris goldson »

Probably been raised before but has anyone found the prop stand on the AJS (1956) allows the bike the go over at an extreme angle and is there a way of modifying to allow the bike to be parked in a safer lean angle?
Iron Head

Re: Prop stand

Post by Iron Head »

G80/Model 18 side stands seem to be notorious for this. Seems to be a combination of wear on the fastener, wear in the eyes of the stand mounting lugs and frame rail twist from what I understand. My ‘48 rigid has one of those pretty good made in India clamp on sides stands now which works great. My ‘54 G80 CS I improved considerably with some shimming between frame rail and lug. I have also wondered about getting an extension piece welded in?

Iron Head
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Do you have the correct stand?

Do you have any wear in the components? The pivot bolt can be replaced, the prop stand and frame lug bored and bushed, both easy fixes which will greatly improve a worn assembly.

Is the stand straight? (it should be), if not it can be bent cold.

If the stand is still travelling forward too far you can build up the contact face of the lug or stand with weld and dress back.

If all of the above are good you can weld a suitable plate to the stand foot.

I think it unlikely that the frame has twisted at the lug attachment.

Regards Mick
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

I have measured the following:

Length of stand from bolt hole to foot is 10"

With bike upright and stand extended there is a gap of three and a half inches between the foot of the side stand and the ground.

I can't see any significant wear on the pivot or stand although the stand itself is slightly bent but I would not have thought this would make much difference to the gap between the stand and the floor which is a substantial.

Might have to see about extending it but not sure if it is cast which makes welding a little trickier.

Is it the right stand I wonder?

Thanks for help
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Side stand on my '47 Model 18 if it gives any clue.
100_1337.jpg
Side stand 1947.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

chris goldson wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 pm Might have to see about extending it but not sure if it is cast which makes welding a little trickier.
Hi

The stand is made from cast steel, (not iron), and can be tweaked cold, bent hot or welded without fear of cracking.

More details and measurements here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25955&p=230989#p230989

Regards Mick
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

Has anyone discovered a sidestand foot that will fit? There seems to be plenty that fit modern bikes but I cant find anything advertised for ours?
MAC

Post by MAC »

I thought the lean angle on my 1958 M18 was too drastic...a lorry wheel nut welded to the foot of the prop stand makes it sit nice and safe...and is hardly noticeable.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Just a quick additional thought from me after replacing said stud tonight on the G80CS. The 3/8-26 CEI x 6 3/8” stud that ‘unites’ the front downtube and rear frame had stripped and wouldn’t tighten and was allowing frame rail ‘twist’ on the prop stand side. Think this has improved the angle of dangle somewhat!

Iron Head
Shelby-Right

Post by Shelby-Right »

The stand mount on my 49 500 , is forward of the the foot rest not sure if that is correct ? anyway I bought a AMF Indian stand , but when it folded up it was angled under the frame, I have since taper turned some 304 S/S and fabricated and Tig welded , when it was tacked up I gave it a tweak to get it parallel to frame , it is all polished up now and looks great , love to add a pic but not sure if I can or if I am allowed to . .Cheers.