Re Commissioning a 60year old Bike

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ColourNcoat

Re Commissioning a 60year old Bike

Post by ColourNcoat »

Sorry for all the questions but now she is running I would like to put her on the road.
After searching can someone give me the basic procedure for the above please.
Understanding it has to be Road worthy what things need to be done ;)
Regards
Roger
clive

Re: Re Commissioning a 60year old Bike

Post by clive »

So Roger first a request from one of the moderators, don't double click when posting. It takes a second or two for your post to work its way through the system and if you click again whilst it is doing so then you get two posts. If it is a new topic the risk is half your answers will not appear on the other thread or members will end up repeating themselves. I have just deleted your latest duplicate. thanks.

On to your question, before taking a bike out for a test ride that has stood for years I would check the tyres, if they are too hard or crazed with cracks it would be safest to change them. If they appear ok check they have not got a distorted area in case they have sat flat for some years.
I would check the oil is returning and check all the chains are tensioned correctly and don't have solid or poorly flexing sections in them.
Finally I would check that the brakes work to some extent by making sure at the least that your can lock the front brake whilst pushing the bike forward, or driving in slowly in first gear.
The lights and horn should work but this only needs a charged battery.
Once you have taken it out you will find the other things that need doing :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

clive wrote:So Roger first a request from one of the moderators, don't double click when posting. It takes a second or two for your post to work its way through the system and if you click again whilst it is doing so then you get two posts. If it is a new topic the risk is half your answers will not appear on the other thread or members will end up repeating themselves. I have just deleted your latest duplicate. thanks.

On to your question, before taking a bike out for a test ride that has stood for years I would check the tyres, if they are too hard or crazed with cracks it would be safest to change them. If they appear ok check they have not got a distorted area in case they have sat flat for some years.
I would check the oil is returning and check all the chains are tensioned correctly and don't have solid or poorly flexing sections in them.
Finally I would check that the brakes work to some extent by making sure at the least that your can lock the front brake whilst pushing the bike forward, or driving in slowly in first gear.
The lights and horn should work but this only needs a charged battery.
Once you have taken it out you will find the other things that need doing :rofl:
Sorry unaware of the workings of websites :oops:
As for the recommisioning, my point was with regards to what has to be done in a legal aspect of notifications. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough as I have just totally rebuilt my bike top to bottom and no mot being required :rofl:
Regards
Roger
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Assuming it is registered in your name, you need to insure and tax it, (tax is free for Historic vehicles but you must inform DVLA who will remove it's SORN status, (if present)).

You will also need to make a declaration that the vehicle has not been substantially modified if this is the first time it has been registered as Historic class - it's all on the DVLA website:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

Regards Mick
Last edited by Mick D on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ColourNcoat wrote: As for the recommisioning, my point was with regards to what has to be done in a legal aspect of notifications.
First things first - a bit more info needed.......

Is it currently on SORN?
Do you have a V5C 'logbook' for it?
If you have and it shows the tax class as 'Historic vehicle' and you have insured it you can tax it on the DVLA website without having an MOT.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Assuming it is registered in your name, you need to insure and tax it, (tax is free for Historic vehicles but you must inform DVLA who will remove it's SORN status, (if present)).

You will also need to make a declaration that the vehicle has not been substantially modified if this is the first time it has been registered as Historic class - it's all on the DVLA website:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

Regards Mick
Hi Mick, I purchased it last year and applied for the logbook and when SORN was applied for i had to declare it as it wasn't taxed since the 80's.
So tomorrow I will be insuring it and assumed because of registration date it would be automatic ( obviously not ). :beer:
Regards
Roger
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
ColourNcoat wrote: As for the recommisioning, my point was with regards to what has to be done in a legal aspect of notifications.
First things first - a bit more info needed.......

Is it currently on SORN?
Do you have a V5C 'logbook' for it?
If you have and it shows the tax class as 'Historic vehicle' and you have insured it you can tax it on the DVLA website without having an MOT.
Yes it is SORN due to work carried out.
I applied for logbook as soon as I was able to.
It does not show as historic tax class so this has to be applied for? :beer:
Roger
clive

Post by clive »

Normally if it does not already show historic on the log book then you have to apply for tax (and bike needs to be insured) to get it changed. It will then say historic rather than bicycle .
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

clive wrote:Normally if it does not already show historic on the log book then you have to apply for tax (and bike needs to be insured) to get it changed. It will then say historic rather than bicycle .
Yes it says bicycle and will be insured tomorrow thanks
Regards
Roger
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi Roger ;

what i did the last time i put an old vehicle of my own back on road was to first insure it , then go online and tax it , then fill in v5c to change tax class to historic vehicle , i think it is section 31 or 32 , send v5c off and should come back somewhere near 30 days time with taxation class changed .

you can also go down to the relevent tax issuing post office and they will tax the vehicle and sort the taxation class out and send off the v5c for you .

there is also a form to fill in regarding MOT exmption , its V112 and can be downloaded online , simply fill it in , category R is what you put down for vehicles over 40 years old , and send off or do at same time as going to post office etc . ..

all the best
ian