Re Commissioning a 60year old Bike

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
poplargreg

Re: Re Commissioning a 60year old Bike

Post by poplargreg »

I bought this bike (a 1936 250cc model 22 - the AJS version of the one in the current Jampot) in the mid sixties from the uncle of a friend. It had been laid up during the war and had been used during the fiftes, then put to rest in the garden shed. I was tiring of my Bantam, so a fiver changed hands and the recommissioning commenced. This cosisted of blowing up the tyres, changing the oil, decoke and valve grind + the application of copious quantities of Brushing Belco.
I passed my test on it and was infuriated by the examiner asking "Whatever is making you ride this old wreck?" It was only thirty years old then, and I was rather proud of it. It's the twin port version and I imagined everone would notice the two silencers and think it was a twin. Rather like the teenage friend of my son who used to drive all summer with his windows closed so admirers would think he had air conditioning.
It finally gave way to a Matchless 500 single and was dismantled and boxed for a complete refurbishment. That was the best thing I could have done, as five house moves, lack of time and money, children etc has meant it stayed that way and wasn't sold. A few bits went astray, but nothing vital.
I did a bit of work on it during during rushes of enthusiasm - engine rebuild, new pipes and exhaust, professional (but not very good) tank repaint until a gearbox problem made me lose heart. That has been cured with the help of Ken Bryant and John (highly recommended) Bolton. Things are moving on and it should be ready for the road in the spring. I am hoping to get the taxation class changed to "Historic" and then sorn it (without having it insured) to avoid any long wait for DVLA when I want to tax it, but don't know if that will be allowed.
It is a slighty older version than the one in Jampot, having exposed valve springs, a very decorative rocker box and grease nipples to lubricate the rockers and inlet valve, but not the exhaust valve. I seem to remember the lead in petrol was said to give it an easier life - is there anythig I can add nowadays to the petrol to help?
clive

Post by clive »

"I am hoping to get the taxation class changed to "Historic" and then sorn it (without having it insured) to avoid any long wait for DVLA when I want to tax it, but don't know if that will be allowed."
Assuming you currently have a V5C but it shows "not registered for road use" I believe the only way to get the taxation class changed to "historic" is to tax it for road use. As it requires no MOT it does not matter if it is up and running but you will have to insure it. The change of taxation class should be possible over the counter in a competent Post Office (they retain and send off the V5C) but earlier comments on this thread suggest you may need to shop around to find a Post Office where they know their stuff. Once you have changed the taxation class you can SORN it and cancel the insurance.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Thanks Clive - that's very helpful
G