how are my honing skills?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Wayne Cole

how are my honing skills?

Post by Wayne Cole »

first go there were still glassy spots so did it again with better results I hope? pitting was always there...
20220929_114241.jpg
20220929_114305.jpg
20220929_114622.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: how are my honing skills?

Post by 1608 »

You need to aim for what is called 'cross hatching'. As well as the spinning motion of the hone try and do a more up and down motion at the same time. Hope that makes sense? And remember to remove any lip that has formed at the top of the cylinder. You will probably find an example of the 'cross hatching' on Google or youtube.
I have just checked the first example on you tube, and in my opinion its trying to be a bit too precise with the angle of the hatching and scare mongering if not done incorrectly, citing blow by problems etc. A reasonable angle should be ok, but your example is showing nil crossing.
Sorry for further edit. Rinse the cylinder thoroughly when done.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

1608 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:04 pm You need to aim for what is called 'cross hatching'. As well as the spinning motion of the hone try and do a more up and down motion at the same time. Hope that makes sense? And remember to remove any lip that has formed at the top of the cylinder. You will probably find an example of the 'cross hatching' on Google or youtube.
I have just checked the first example on you tube, and in my opinion its trying to be a bit too precise with the angle of the hatching and scare mongering if not done incorrectly, citing blow by problems etc. A reasonable angle should be ok, but your example is showing nil crossing.
Sorry for further edit. Rinse the cylinder thoroughly when done.
slower up and down movement maybe on my part? maybe I was going too fast up and down? so you reckon I can do more without it getting too far here? thanks very much for info.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

try your rings in the bore , see what clearance you have on the gap 0.001 on diameter is 0.00314 on ring gap
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I am always surprised how quickly you have to go up and down to get the cross hatching... Even with the drill going nice and slow. I think it is 45 degrees you are aiming for, mine always come out flatter than that
20170423_175608.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

Joker_Bones wrote: ↑Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:46 pm I am always surprised how quickly you have to go up and down to get the cross hatching... Even with the drill going nice and slow. I think it is 45 degrees you are aiming for, mine always come out flatter than that
20170423_175608.jpg
ok thanks, I am actually going around to the guys place I bought it from in an hour, he has nortons choppers and all kinds of stuff, he knows what he is doing, I am completely confident with my rocker box assembly, valve springs in by hand! πŸ’ͺ
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

g80csp11 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:16 pm try your rings in the bore , see what clearance you have on the gap 0.001 on diameter is 0.00314 on ring gap
why would the bore be turning brown after honing? I put oil straight on after. cheers
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

[/quote]
valve springs in by hand! πŸ’ͺ
[/quote]
πŸ‘ After watching Dick Casey's video... I thought if he can get them in by hand then so can I.
I managed it too... But it was pretty painful on the old digits 😡
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

Joker_Bones wrote: ↑Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:32 pm

valve springs in by hand! πŸ’ͺ
[/quote]
πŸ‘ After watching Dick Casey's video... I thought if he can get them in by hand then so can I.
I managed it too... But it was pretty painful on the old digits 😡
[/quote]

sure was a bit painful, I snuck the engine in the basement while my girlfriend wasn't looking to do it in a clean environment, of course she bloody came down so I quickly threw a towel over it, she said "smells a bit funny in here" I said it's just my clothes dear, I thought I gotta bloody do this so dealt with the pain.
20220928_192145.jpg