IJR and onwards!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MikeM.

Re: IJR and onwards!

Post by MikeM. »

Enjoy your trip Alan, where’s the next cider orchard you’re stopping at.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Stopped at Montreuil just inland from St.Touquet ,It's a walled hilltop town where General Haig had his h.q. in the first war, there is a statue of him on horseback in the main square.There was purely accidentally a classic meeting there, mostly cars but a nice 500 mss velo, my 40 year old morini and the usual modern stuff! A lovely old buick would not start but a de loren had some "jump leads" so hopefully he got going! Bloomig hot so off to St. Touquet tomorrow.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Don't bother with st. Touquet-it's horrible!! Went down the coast to Berck, more like an english resort and had a good seafood lunch.The citadel at Montreuil is worth a visit- it was improved by Vauban the famous french engineer who fortified most of france in the 19th century and everybody is getting ready for Bastille day tomorrow! Still too hot but some cloud about. Got some fuel and the lady insisted Judy took off her open faced helmet to pay!! So even 70+ are considered a risk!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sounds great, Alan. We're over in Scotland now and sad you'll miss the Jampot.

Big thanks to the Scottish Section, it was great to see you all. Just to note, I do have a Matchless and did get furthest travelled on a machine of the marque for the Danish, Kertminde, IJR! I'm not always on a Yamahaha.

Your travel reports raise echoes of Basil Chilvers' notes in the Jampot all those years ago.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanjennings wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:05 pm Stopped at Montreuil just inland from St.Touquet ,
alanjennings wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:47 pm Don't bother with st. Touquet-it's horrible!! Went down the coast to Berck,
:?

Far be it from me to be overly concerned about accuracy (as you may have noticed from one or two of my occasional posts on the Forums), but don't you guys mean Le Touquet?
Le Touquet.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Joined the vincent rally at Meville based at a catholic seminary! Not just vincents-A b.s.a. thunderbolt, a velo and an m.v. america!! Went to La coupole a concrete dome built by the germans to launch v-2 rockets to bomb London into submission! Fortunately it was too late in the war and was never used- but a horrifying 6000 forced workers died constructing it! Weather still wonderful if too hot and no sign of rain.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Had horrible trip up the m25 to home today!! Will be at Founders day on Sunday-when will I get a minute to sit down?
Alan [Morini] Jennings
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Went to VMCC "pop up" meeting today on the fosse way and who should be there but Matt Dylan and Andy Smith from the east mid. section plus lots of chaps and their other halves from the VMCC and the VOC. and the Morini club! We were waiting for a break in the weather but it didn't happen! Judy plus van plus 250 morini are off to the Western Isles on monday for 3 weeks so will miss the"Jampot" in Wales- enjoy it. Will mutter on about bikes and interesting places we will visit!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Now reached Oban in the van-and guess what? A lovely scottish mist! Makes a change from all that30c.Morini off the van and will explore Oban today, then meeting up with other club members for a slap up meal on the north pier, speciality sea food. Tomorrow by boat to Barra when the trip really begins!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Had a rough 4 hour crossing to Barra!! So far 10 vincents, one bonnie, one ducati and my morini. Did a circumnavigation of the island in gusty and stormy weather but very exhilarating! Had lunch on Vesteray and to my surprise a very talented lady did a good likeness of my morini in water colour ignoring the expensive vincents!! She will send me a print. Onwards tomorrow to south Uist.
Alan [Morini] Jennings