exhaust pipes

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Seven13

exhaust pipes

Post by Seven13 »

Hi, Canada calling with a question about a seal/washer between the exhaust pipe and cylinder head. Is there one? I checked the parts book and couldn't seem to find one. Many thanks. Tony
Lawries

Re: exhaust pipes

Post by Lawries »

Nope, just a snug fit. Make sure all the mounting's are sound. Use some high temperature rtv if necessary.
Seven13

Post by Seven13 »

Thanks for your reply, one other question, are the pipes flanged, mine are not.
clive

Post by clive »

Tony you don't quote what bike you are talking about and its not on your profile. Having said that most postwar AJS and Matchless are a push fit into the cylinder head and have no flanges. Having said that I did at one time have a 49 G80 with an iron head that had a flange and the exhaust pipe fitted over it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Seven13

Re: exhaust pipes and footrests

Post by Seven13 »

Sorry for the delayed response. Been away for a few days. The bike is a hybrid 1960 CSR frame and a 1959 650 GL12 motor, the intent being to make a CS out of the 2. The pipes are a not bad fit, just surprised that it is push fit only. Will work on that. I have another question which shows my unfamiliarity with the marque. This concerns footrests. I have the CS "iron" footrests which fit, but I thought for comfort I would option for the regular serrated footrests with the square cross bar. The frame footrest lugs are round and the square cross bar won't hold the footrests up. Does that make sense? Is there a way to make then work? I don't have any local friends with a Matchless/AJS to check it out, can you shed a little light. Apologies for my ignorance.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The standard engine plates have square holes which the square rod passes through to prevent rotation. The CS had round holes in the engine plates and a round rod. Rotaion was prevented by the footrests locating over the frame rails. You could make small plates with a square hole and think of a way to stop rotation, bolt through the plates or bend around the engine plate (similar to a Lightweight 250)
PS my 'CSR' is built from bits using a CSR frame with 650 alternator engine because I prefer the alternator.
Dave.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Piccy if it helps, CS type folding pegs:
IMG_20220816_105941.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Or comp type pegs:
IMG_20220816_110536.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.