Despatch Rider Memorial Ride

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy RE

Despatch Rider Memorial Ride

Post by Tommy RE »

As a member of both the AJS & MOC and the VMCC and owning a WW2 Despatch Rider bike, I was asked by Mario Costa-Sa at the General Meeting of the VMCC at The National Memorial Arboretum if I would lead a ride in to the NMA on May 1st this year to help raise funds for the establishment of a memorial at the NMA to commemorate those members of the armed forces and civilians who were either Despatch Riders or Motorcycle messengers who were killed doing their duty as no such memorial currently exists. It will be known as Duty to Ride and will start from the National Motorcycle Museum. attendees should start to arrive at the NMM from 08:00 on and a briefing will be given at 09:00 with a start time of 09:30 and an ETA at the NMA between 10:30 and 11:00.

The run will be led by me using the ‘second man drop off’ and their will be a ‘Tail End Charlie’ also riding a military bike signalling the drop offs to proceed as is usual practice. The VMCC will provide a van of shame for breakdowns (hopefully there will be none). The military bikes will assemble at the front of the ride so that they will be able to arrive ‘en masse’ as a group and instructions will be given to follow the last of the military bikes to riders of other types of vintage, classic and modern machines.

The VMCC is establishing a separate entity to ring fence and amass the hefty projected £350k cost of commissioning and maintaining the memorial in perpetuity at the NMA. Details to register your interest to participate will be available from the VMCC website during the first or second week of February. However for early interest, there is a temporary form available visa the following link: https://gbr01.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

Your support in attending this ride in to raise funds for a very worthy cause will be very much appreciated. If this event is successful, it is hoped to make it an annual event.

Kind regards,

Neil (Tommy RE) Trinder
PX207

Re: Despatch Rider Memorial Ride

Post by PX207 »

Thanks for the heads up Tommy, application completed 😀