Model Identification please

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Eamonn
Webmaster

Model Identification please

Post by Eamonn »

The following email is asking for help in identifying his father's bike:

Hi, I'm Frank Muscat and my father migrated from Malta to Australia in 1950 he bought a motorbike sometime after he married my mum in 1952 but kept it only for 2 weeks, because I believe he nearly come off it not long after he bought it. I recently was sent a picture of him on this bike by a cousin of mine. (I didn't know we had a picture of it). I have found out it is an AJS and possibly a 350 cc 1949 0r 1950 model. After searching the web I'm confused as these models I think had single seats. To me it looks more like a 1954 model however the rear shock absorbers are not Jampot but candle shocks.
I have also read that these model were made in the UK with candlestick shock absorbers purely for exporting.

Frank_Muscat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Corners like a Lego man
ajscomboman

Re: Model Identification please

Post by ajscomboman »

Candlesticks and Alloy head would indicate 1950 if the bike was new at the time and not messed with. The seat would have been a saddle but I believe the dual seat may have been an option. As stated the basic bike would be 1950 and may have been pictured later than that date with a later dual seat fitted.
Rob Harknett

Re: Model Identification please

Post by Rob Harknett »

Rob is spot on with 1950, cannot tell if it's 350 or 500 c.c. I've tweaked the picture a bit. The dual seat was certainly not intended for the bike. Notice the white stripes. The seat also appears to have been fitted too far back. The front ending near the rear of the oil tank leaving quite a gap between the front of the seat and petrol tank.
Frank_Muscat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.