General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Oily thumb nail

Post by Oily thumb nail »

Hi folks

Having not owned a bike for over thirty years I have somehow slipped back into the "dark side". In the last few months I mysteriously found myself owning a 1930 AJS R9!
In at the deep end, I am now slowly finding my way round this intriguing bit of kit. First port of call was joining and becoming a fellow "jampotter" (is that a real word?).
Anyone else out there have a R9 or a similar AJS 500cc side valve of about the same date? I would love to find out a bit more about this particular model, its idiosyncrasies and foibles. I'm sure I am going to need a load of help and advise. The bike has obviously had a major re build and is in very good condition, but still needs lots of re commissioning and there are a load of minor little issues which I am slowly working my way through.

I dug out my old Bell open face "jet" helmet and after removing the odd mouse nest I find it still fits me! :D
Samuel

Re: New member

Post by Samuel »

Welcome to the club Stephen.
We would love to see some pictures of your recent acquisition. Not so many of those turn up nowadays.
Sam
Oily thumb nail

Hi Sam

I suppose I should have done a load of research before investing in this machine but I was desperate for a 1930's bike. I already have three 1930's cars and am running out of room, so I thought a bike would be a good addition. I took one look at it and though "that's for me". Maybe I should have gone for a BSA M20 ? I think parts might be very hard to find for R9's. I hope nothing major goes "ping!

I understand the extensive, professional and top quality rebuild took place on this bike about 10 or 12 years ago. Since then it has been a "trailer queen" being dragged from one show to another until lockdown put an end to that. There seems little evidence of it actually travelling far on the road. I'm quite determined to sort out the annoying little issues it has (poor tick over, oil leaks, dry cables, good and new but mysterious wiring, etc) and actually use it during the summer months. Learning to ride an old bike like this is going to be a big hurdle. The hand change is a bit vague and very distracting when other vehicles loom. Its a big heavy handful but has a bucket load of torque.

Still cant get my head round the fact that I am now the custodian of a 92year old bike!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oily thumb nail

Rob

Many many thanks. This info will help a lot. I'm by no means mechanically helpless, but this will make the job a whole lot easier. Great bedtime reading too.
Thanks again. ;)
JARO

Post by JARO »

Two years ago I found on Autoscout24.de AJS R8 for renovation.
I was wondering to buy but unexpectedly disappeared and I didn't buy it.
Now I'm not looking for anything ,the prices are crazy and hard to find. :shock:

It was this bike :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This does look quite correct for an R8. Note the R9 topic bike seems to have a later Tank and headlamp.
Oily thumb nail

That R8 is a nice looking bike. There R series bikes do seem to be a bit of a rarity.

I did wonder about the fuel tank on my R9. The chrome work looks pretty but it is probably off a later bike? The shape and fit seems correct and the switch/gauge panel looks about right. It has just an ammeter, as the speedo is blanked off (optional extra in 1930?). I assume the original tank would have been just painted black all over?

I kind of like the big Cyclops headlight though.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... JS_Sales_B
Have a look at the 1931 de lux S9. could be the tank and headlamp you have. I would need frame and engine number to confirm date of manufacture.
The 1930's depression saw a huge drop in the sale of motor cycles. So they are a bit rare. By the end of 1932 AJS of Wolverhampton sold out to AMC
Oily thumb nail

I shall do some research at this end and see if I can locate the engine and frame number. I could be I have been miss describing it as an R9 when in fact its an S9. Possibly its even a blend of two bikes? :o