Lucas Dynamo

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve64

Lucas Dynamo

Post by Steve64 »

Hi all, I am putting together a Lucas E3N-LO dynamo and need a bit of info if possible. I have replaced the bearings and need to know if there are any seals between the bearing and the plates. When the bearing is in it moves back and forth and there is an indent in both plates where a seal might go. None of the online diagrams show anything. The arrows point to the empty space either side of bearing when fitted.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: Lucas Dynamo

Post by clive »

That end plate looks home made especially with one of the screw holes breaking out of the edge. The single Dynamo has an end plate shaped like a very large keyhole so that a spanner can be used on it when adjusting the Dynamo chain. As I remember there is no oil seal. The twin has a different end plate and it does incorporate an oil seal (as in a recent quiz picture). It's helpful if you include the bike you are working on in your details or in the post. Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

As Clive says. The typical part on an E3N for one of our singles is #200799 and can be seen, along with the equivalent magdynamo and twin-cyl dynamo parts for comparison, in the Lucas parts lists - page E4 in the link here.
No oil seal listed for these.
http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/libr ... 0chart.pdf
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Thanks for reply guys, it’s for a 46 500 Matchless, I know this is not the original dynamo for this bike but I submitted a post about dynamo a while ago and was advised to use this as it is a better one. I see what you mean about being home made but if it’s it’s pretty good. Will ad another pic, now I need to find original but you have answered my question about seal , it doesn’t need one so thanks for that info.
Cheers guys.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Hy guys thanks for your replies, I have found a guy who has a plate for sale here in Australia which looks like the one in the Brightspark catalogue but the part numbers are different. With your experience and knowledge do you think they are the same or is there some difference. I have attached some pictures of the two. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.Steve.
Groily

Post by Groily »

I'm sure it's the same. Can't see the part number in the Lucas lists I referred to but see eg the ad here, for our machines:
https://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/en/p ... -new-parts
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Gday mate thanks for reply and advice, greatly appreciated, I will snap it up, they are hard to find.
Cheers mate, Steve