Mixing and Matching Engine cases

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
peterg123

Mixing and Matching Engine cases

Post by peterg123 »

'Ive got two sets of twin cases, un-useable for various reasons but I've noticed they dont have matching numbers or marks, yet I know they came off intact bikes.

Does this mean AMC cases were so well machined that lefts and rights can be swapped for twins, as long as the part numbers of the halves match? (there are many small variations I know)

I would have thought not, inless very careful measurement is made in an engineering shop of the truth of the line through both main bearings.

But maybe not..hope this is not a wholly ignorant question.
g80csp11

Re: Mixing and Matching Engine cases

Post by g80csp11 »

its not unusual to find crankcases mixed , and i believe they were not line bored and available as separate halves . certainly if you check your spares list then you can see option of purchasing complete with studs , bushes etc. or separate halves
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

After I sold my G9, the purchaser found vibration problems were caused by a minute mismatch between crankcase halves.
So perhaps it does matter. :oops:
Sam
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

as you can see on the singles they are machined and finished as halves
http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/C ... _Cycle.jpg
peterg123

Post by peterg123 »

This is tue G80, but I can't find matching numbers on the twins?????

One local engineer in Kenya suggested I sleeve the drive side bearing recess with a generous sleeve in alloy, then line-bore back to size using the timing side as the reference....even if it ca,e out slightly eccentric to the sleeve, the inside bore would be true to then fit the main bearing outer.