Mystery bracket

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve64

Mystery bracket

Post by Steve64 »

Hi all, I am hoping someone can tell me what this bracket is for on my 46' Matchless 500 frame. I recently purchased the frame and it came with it and can't find it in the parts book. It isn't a fixed bracket ,it slides up and down the frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone have any pics of the front foot peg mount set up, I have 2 different size footrest rods, one requires the foot pegs on the outside and the other on the inside of the frame.
Thank you, Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ferdinand

Re: Mystery bracket

Post by Ferdinand »

Hi Steve, This clamps the engine top bracket to the frame - I am refurbishing a '54 16MS basket in Torquay Vic
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The part is in your parts list but not illustrated. It's called, rocker box stay ( often referred to has " head steady "
You can see it illustrated in club spares. You must convert the part numbers show in your 1946 parts list to new part numbers. this only applies ifthe part was continued in use 1952 on wards, when AMC changed to new part numbers. Difficult to see in the picture, where you see the two holes is bent at 90 degrees to fit on the two rocker box bolts, threaded at the top.
Ashampoo_Snap_03 December 2021_10h30m42s_004_.jpg
Ashampoo_Snap_03 December 2021_10h25m53s_003_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The two bolt angle bracket was introduced in 1949, prior to that on the 500cc iron head engines a single bolt with extension (010930) was used and I believe the bracket was a simple twisted piece if flat bar attached to it and the frame clip, I am unsure if the later bracket can be used on an earlier engine has any one tried successfully?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just noticed Duncan, 46 parts list is one off for all parts. So it must have had something different to that triangular plate, as you mentioned.