Seafoam .. Snake oil?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Seafoam .. Snake oil?

Post by Taid »

Wandering the net, rather aimlessly, I came across mention of 'Seafoam' to combat the general effects of aging in an engine and specifically to combat Ethanol ..

If it's so good, why isn't everyone saying 'use it'?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Samuel

Re: Seafoam .. Snake oil?

Post by Samuel »

Taid wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:01 pm Wandering the net, rather aimlessly, I came across mention of 'Seafoam' to combat the general effects of aging in an engine and specifically to combat Ethanol ..

Oil and salt water do not mix well :shock:
Sam
Andy.S

Post by Andy.S »

Hi
My mate lives in the sates and swears by it , uses it on all his old vehicles.
See link
https://seafoamworks.com/product/sea-fo ... -additive/
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Taid wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:01 pm Wandering the net, rather aimlessly, I came across mention of 'Seafoam' to combat the general effects of aging in an engine and specifically to combat Ethanol ..

Maybe it's because they haven't found any need for it.

;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Just what you want, an aggressive detergent to strip the carbon deposits from your engine. The sludge traps will then do their job, become blocked and ruin your big ends - bargain :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I have to wonder how our bikes have continued to function for half a century plus without it - especially when considering the lack of attention paid to them by their, then, youthful and cash strapped owners :roll: :roll:

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:07 pm I have to wonder how our bikes have continued to function for half a century plus without it - especially when considering the lack of attention paid to them by their, then, youthful and cash strapped owners :roll: :roll:

Regards Mick
My sentiments entirely, along with being bemused when owners (aka: 'The Worried Well') feel the need to fit an additional screw-on oil filter for an occasional ride to the pub. :twisted:

O.K. I'm deliberately being a bit provocative (pompous even) as although an additional filter won't do any harm regular oil changes are the best protection. However, if there's significant debris being trapped in filters or sludge traps some urgent attention is needed as the damage has probably already been done.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'