Security

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Andy G

Re: Security

Post by Andy G »

clive wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:00 pmParacord?
Strong woven string with a nylon core...so called because it used to connect parachutes to people
Last edited by Andy G on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Shelby-Right

Post by Shelby-Right »

Park motorcycle close to outside table when having coffee , or just keep riding , battery grinder with a cutoff wheel makes it pretty quick to remove padlocks etc .
Steven S

Post by Steven S »

I've always thought the Factory came up with the best and simplest security device for locking up when out and about - the 018691 locking bar, as illustrated in most owners manuals. It obviously won't stop someone coming along and picking up the bike but if it were me, I'd be choosing a lighter and less obvious bike to nick. I'm sure any prospective thief will quickly give up when they realise they can only push the bike in small circles. At the risk of incurring Clive's wrath, I will say I put my money where my mouth is and do know where they are available...
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Alan

I thought your invention was for the pad to put the side stand down - which I use. I thought I had re-purposed the concept for the chain!

Johnny B
Drunclej

Post by Drunclej »

I'm a bit over the top regarding this, but have cable tied a small remote controlled alarm to the bike, for when I'm nipping into shops etc. These alarms (around £12, a&_zon) are pretty sensitive, and issue a variety of squawks when the bike is knocked. A press of the fob, and it's armed. Leaving it any longer and it's a chain. (Teesside 😒)
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

There is an excellent article on this subject in the February 1995 Jampot, pages 28 & 29 - login to main site, go to: Club, Jampots 1956 - 2004, 501 Feb 1995.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Steven S wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:22 am I've always thought the Factory came up with the best and simplest security device for locking up when out and about - the 018691 locking bar, as illustrated in most owners manuals.

I've been looking at the illustration of the item, but can't work out how it's used .. it appears to fit over the 'extension' on the fork casting and be retained by the hasp of a lock through the adjacent hole, but I don't see how it would lock the steering ..

Or have I got the wrong idea, anyway .. ?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
clive

Post by clive »

Taid wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:15 pm
Steven S wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:22 am I've always thought the Factory came up with the best and simplest security device for locking up when out and about - the 018691 locking bar, as illustrated in most owners manuals.

I've been looking at the illustration of the item, but can't work out how it's used .. it appears to fit over the 'extension' on the fork casting and be retained by the hasp of a lock through the adjacent hole, but I don't see how it would lock the steering ..

Or have I got the wrong idea, anyway .. ?
With the handlebars all to one side the bar goes on pointing towards the frame. It then acts as an extension to the fork stop hitting the frame tube as soon as you try to turn the bar.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Taid

Post by Taid »

Hmmm .. worthy of consideration .. small.enough to lose in the top box even when bit full ..

Thanks ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Drunclej, good tip. I recall ordering one of the factory items from Steve S @ AMC classic Spares but can't recall where I've put it!

If the unit is "buried" within the underseat area it would prove a canny deterrent?

Currently using one of the Oxford chains.

Johnny B