first time running

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Duncan

Re: first time running

Post by Duncan »

Mick D wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:07 am
Stevecampy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:38 pm had a light on a 9 volt battery just to see when points opened
Hi

As Groily has said - a bulb and battery will not indicate when the points open on a magneto, (unless there's something amiss internally with the mag). You need to use a cigarette paper, thin feeler gauge or one of these:

http://www.aoservices.co.uk/info/MTL.pdf

Regards Mick
I believe the magneto body is being used only to hold the points to run a coil ignition so in this instance the bulb will work fine.
clive

Post by clive »

Duncan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:28 pm
Mick D wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:07 am
Stevecampy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:38 pm had a light on a 9 volt battery just to see when points opened
Hi

As Groily has said - a bulb and battery will not indicate when the points open on a magneto, (unless there's something amiss internally with the mag). You need to use a cigarette paper, thin feeler gauge or one of these:

http://www.aoservices.co.uk/info/MTL.pdf

Regards Mick
I believe the magneto body is being used only to hold the points to run a coil ignition so in this instance the bulb will work fine.
If that is true we have probably all been :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: for the last 5 pages of discussion
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:28 pm
If that is true we have probably all been :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: for the last 5 pages of discussion
No offence to the OP but that reminds me of sales meetings when my American boss of yesteryear was being given the run-around with contradictory information. She'd lean across the boardroom table and say to the current offender: "John. Would you mind nibbling my ear? I do like a bit of passion when I'm being f****d about".
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

:beer: :beer: all running again just me and my screwed up brain after a few months on life support .I was timing the engine in wrong rotation went first time and new adv advance working good just the odd missfire but the points rock on there pivot probably that getting mag next Thank you all for keeping me going
clive

Post by clive »

thats good news
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

general update bike running ok. Been out and the clutch started slipping bad. This was looked at and h
found a missmatch of alsorts. New clutch 4 friction and one double sided friction 5 new steel plates springs and adjuster nut all good so far Thanks all for yuor help