Lucky or what?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Lucky or what?

Post by clive »

Fixing the dynamo on the G11CS yesterday, new armature, back in, flashed over in case I had put the new brushes in a different way round. More fuel needed as I had drained the tank to get to the Autumn rally on a different bike. Parked outside the garages and locked the gate. Shot round to the local garage and was back at the lockup 10 minutes later. And there exactly where I had been stopped was a thick branch off a nearby tree, about 8 foot long and at least a foot in diameter which had fallen from about 20 foot up.
oh and the repair to the dynamo worked too.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Samuel

Re: Lucky or what?

Post by Samuel »

clive wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:50 pm And there exactly where I had been stopped was a thick branch off a nearby tree, about 8 foot long and at least a foot in diameter which had fallen from about 20 foot up.
Did you take a picture ?
Sam
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:50 pm Fixing the dynamo on the G11CS yesterday, new armature, back in, flashed over in case I had put the new brushes in a different way round. More fuel needed as I had drained the tank to get to the Autumn rally on a different bike. Parked outside the garages and locked the gate. Shot round to the local garage and was back at the lockup 10 minutes later. And there exactly where I had been stopped was a thick branch off a nearby tree, about 8 foot long and at least a foot in diameter which had fallen from about 20 foot up.
Cripes, that was lucky. A branch that size dropping from even six feet could've done a lot of damage to you or worse still, the bike. I'd get the owner to have the tree checked out in case there's another one about to fall on the lockup or you. It could've been very costly for the owner if any damage or injury had ocurred.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

The trees are owned by the local Council and they were pollarded only a week or so ago. Last year I had to report that a different one had fallen across the track, whole tree this time, and they cleared it away pretty quick. Last night I emailed the Park Rangers Manager, whom I know, at 9.30 at night. He replied within 15 minutes and tasked their Tree Officer to look at it, and I had communication with him today to identify the site.
Personally I think I might have been more concerned about damage to me as I doubt I would have been around to know about the damage to the bike Spriddler. Sam I did take photos but not til later after I moved the branch to put the bike away. Not terribly clear.
My new policy is to park the bike between the two suspect trees and open the gate warily.
clive
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:14 pm Personally I think I might have been more concerned about damage to me as I doubt I would have been around to know about the damage to the bike Spriddler.
Indeed Clive. It was a tongue in cheek quip.

Those trees sound a bit hazardous in a public area but it would be a dreadful shame if they were removed which sadly happens quite frequently nowadays for H&S precautions.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

I work quite closely with the local Park Rangers as, over the last 7 years, as a community group we have planted over 170 small fruit trees and many hundreds of whips forming about 250 yards of hedging on publically accessible Council and Canal and River Trust land which we then maintain. There is no doubt that trees have a lifetime and need maintenance if they are a risk. These particular trees had not been touched for the 20 years I have rented the garage. Sadly I think they need further work either reducing their height or removing them. The trick is to ensure more trees are replanted when some need to felled and I am pleased to say we are not the only group locally trying to ensure this. I await feedback from the Tree Officer.
clive
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

And the lord above said, sod it, missed the ******d.

I recall one year at the VMCC Founders day Rally Stanford hall, notices everywhere warning , falling branches do not to park under trees. Perhaps trees tend to shed dead branches at a certain time in the year.