Security

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Stevecampy

Security

Post by Stevecampy »

Hi what are you using for security when out and about .Is it worth fitting a ignition key or just a chain n lock just curious :beer: :beer:
dave16mct

Re: Security

Post by dave16mct »

Chain and lock, preferably to something like a lamp post!
Dave
Taid

Post by Taid »

As yet, only fitted ignition switch, but works from a remote fob, so nothing obvious ..
edit //Oh, and all electrics master switch on the antisumping valve ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dave16mct wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 am Chain and lock, preferably to something like a lamp post!
Dave
Agreed. Very few (if any) bikes are ridden away, especially classics.
I was told by my insurer Peter James that 99% of their claims for loss are where a couple of guys wearing road-menders' jackets have turned up in a van with a magnetically attached sign - 'Acme Motorcycle Recovery' - or similar, cut the chain if there is one, throw the bike in the back and are gone within 2 or 3 minutes. Most likely flogging the bits on auction sites.
If it's quite common for for scrotes to cut cat converters off cars - (even in peoples' drives) and get away with it.............. :roll:

I know a couple of pals who've had a nasty shock (and a couple of busted spokes)........
Chain. Final (640x471).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

Good idea on the master switch I was just going to earth the plug and a chain but mainly try no to leave it at all
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

As for leaving chain on I have left a disc lock on it stops quick and disc didn’t like it lol
clive

Post by clive »

Well I have left a chain on a few times over they years, usually resulting in damage to spokes but taking out a valve on one occasion, not made that mistake since, hence damage to the spokes :rofl:
When I am travelling long distance with camping gear etc I always take a cheap cover as well as the chain. That way I cave cover the bike and gear as well as lock it if I leave it for a while somewhere. Mind you my bikes are generally knackered and leaking oil and once they take the cover off they would probably want money to take it away. :beer:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've attached a length of paracord to the chain by the lock, with a loop on the end which I place over the opposite handlebar mirror to where the chain lock is, draped across the handlebars and the throttle.

This has worked so far.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

That is my invention,John-But I forgot to patent it!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
clive

Post by clive »

Paracord?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix