first time running

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
SPRIDDLER

Re: first time running

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Correct ass'y of the valve lifter........
(Photo credit to MickD)
Valve lifter MickD.png
and components........
Valve lifter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

IMG_0031resize.JPG
Thank you all .so Ihave a odd magneto and the valve lifter is still not moving the valve .the mag is just using the points to run a 6v coil the charging is working just wired straight to battery not amp meter heres a pic of points god knows what they are off,I have some advance just manual
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

the adjustment on your lifter is alot longer than mine this maybe why it not moving valve going to tweek lifter with a spanner to see if valve opens.The tight tappet was stopping it running but its hard to ease over comp without lifter and it hurts when it kicks back lol.Also kick start springwas missing got a new spring but it will not stay in elongated hole in casing thinking of using one of the low melt alloy rods to fill hole and redrill
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

here s the engine No 57/18s 131387 hope it helps sort out what I should have
clive

Post by clive »

clive wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:39 am That is an SR1 mag which should have an auto advance retard. The magneto chaincase would require a bulge to accommodate the auto advance retard but yours is for the earlier N1 mag. At the other side of the SR1 mag is a homemade cover I have no idea if the wire coming from it is for the spark but I assume so. In which case you have no advance retard which will make starting the bike tricky.
repeating this advice unfortunately now the end cover is off I would suggest in addition to the auto advance and outer magneto chain cover with the bulge you are likely to need an SR1 mag. Although marked SR the one you have is from a stationary engine I think. I am not surprised you are getting kick back on starting without retarding the mag.
A cheaper alternative would be to get an N1 mag, manual advance lever and cable but it would not be correct for a 57 machine.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Or you could make sure that manual modification is working and check the timing on full adavance.
Dave.
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

Got it insured so taking it for a ride advance works but it is a little up and down at low engine revs so if it rides ok timing next how about 12 volt and a electronic ignition. Love a mag and right advance unit but price and getting the advance unit is a problem
Groily

Post by Groily »

If you don't want to persevere with what's there and do decide to go 'electronic', there'd be no need to go 12v if you went the Thorspark route, which consumes very little current and is thus quite a good bet on non-alternator machines. (12v on low revvers isn't always the smartest move, even if a Long E3 dynamo is/could be fitted.)

Downside, if it is one, is that the advance isn't programmed in like on Boyer systems, so you need that manual advance/retard for starting.

The manual mods to the SR you have don't look to have been badly done though, provided the cable mount and route through the points cover is OK. But whether they'd preclude the straight fit of an electronic replacement for the standard SR1 points backplate is a question that would need an answer.

There are kits for all the usual mags available (ring cam like NC1, face cam like N1, and magnetic rotor SR types), so a non-working manual N1 from an auto-jumble or whatever - as long as it had decent bearings in it - would be a good base if you didn't mind having the 'wrong' mag on there.

Quite a useful link here http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/thorspark.html
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Thorspark is brilliant on mine
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

Hi is it possible to pull the timing gear off without the puller Thanks