New member and a Model 31 CSR

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
KennieJ

New member and a Model 31 CSR

Post by KennieJ »

Hi All.
New member, I aquired a 1960 model 31 CSR a couple of weeks ago, in boxes. Everything had been torn down, wheel spindles out, f/forks apart, engine in bits. G/box opened.
The last time I had a Matchless/AJS was many years ago, a couple of alloy 350s. I remember the p/chain and dynamo chain getting tangled a few times.

I have a few questions, which I think are best in this forum, as they are general.
I read a post on pushrods, to make sure the head gaskets don't rub them. Well, I have 3 alloy p/rods, all marked and worn, and 1 steel one.
Are the rods a press fit into the ends, since I could get alloy tube, I presume they must be, no Locktite back then. Any advice welcome.

The engine, late 59, has a vernier mag. timing gear, which is half the cam gears width, has 19 holes in the hub, so I think a third of a degree adjustment per hole, I have not seen this arrangement mentioned for these road bikes, but I seem to remember some racing engines having it. G50, Manx ?

Rocker gear oil metering jets, they live in the heads ?, but where. I want to check, because as I said, the engine was, is, in small bits.
Thanks in advance, there's more to come.
Ken.
K Johnston
dave16mct

Re: New member and a Model 31 CSR

Post by dave16mct »

The metering jets (if you have them) are in the oilways in the head. If you look at the oilway it will be about 1/8" or so and if the jets are fitted they are just tapped in with a hole in the centre of less than 1mm. My twin had none so I made some from the shank of a large brass woodscrew, cut to length and drilled with my smallest drill (1mm). All the other twins I've looked at had the jets but they were omitted in some years. I'd like to see a picture of the vernier timing gear. I'd use some good loctite on the pushrod ends. It sounds like a good project!
Dave.
KennieJ

Re: New member and a Model 31 CSR

Post by KennieJ »

Thanks, I have looked at the oilways and did not notice restrictors. Is 1mm recommended, or indeed do they need metering.

The vernier timing gear, messing about in the garden, suddenly thought , 7R, G50. Why did'nt I think of the G45, never crossed my mind last night. The retaining pressure-washer (with a pin to go into your selected holes) is missing. Just the broken pin left, no nut, which will be a special.

The pushrods, ordered some 8mm*2mm wall alloy 6060. I cut the ends off of one to see, wall was 0.072" 1.7ish mm. I'll get hi-temp loctite for them, I think. I made rods for a Vincent once from Matchless rods. the ends came loose and the tubes were too large dia for the p/r tubes.
K Johnston