amal carb overhaul

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
anthony kosecki

amal carb overhaul

Post by anthony kosecki »

can anyone recommend someone to overhaul my '55 ish amal carb. I've looked in the recommendations but could only find obsolete contact details. Something within about 50 miles of J26 of the M25 would be great but not essential. Many thanks - Tony.
jackstringer

Re: amal carb overhaul

Post by jackstringer »

Have you had a look at how much Amal charge for a brand new carb? If it only needs bits swapped out then buy the bits and DIY. Its not that hard to work on.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jackstringer wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:37 pm Have you had a look at how much Amal charge for a brand new carb? If it only needs bits swapped out then buy the bits and DIY. Its not that hard to work on.
Times I've been down that route only to find the body is so worn that even an oversize carb slide doesn't cure erratic idle. Now, if they look trashed I suggest the owner buy new or leave well alone. I agree they are easy to work on, but not easy to fix if too badly worn and bye the time you find out you're well on the way to over half the cost of a new one. That said even with a new one I strip and totally clean out the drillings, jets etc as they have been blocked with swarf on occasion.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

I second Rob’s comments here. I have only managed to have any luck with refurbishing carbs by sourcing NOS bodies on pre monoblocs, plus a new slide and needle. If you can get all these you should always be in business. Monoblocs of course require that you buy the whole thing when you buy the body.

Iron Head
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I recently bought a new carb for my G3LS, I was chasing issues so I just went sod it and bought new. The old carb was very worn out, shame really.

My point was if you send the carb to someone to vapour blast, clean, strip, replace parts etc you could just buy a new carb.

If DIY then its worth a rebuild kit.
anthony kosecki

Many thanks for the advice - much appreciated. I'm looking for a thorough internal clean because it was laid up with petrol in it for 41 years plus it needs new fuel pipes. I don't have the skills or manual dexterity to do it myself.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jackstringer wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:28 pm I recently bought a new carb for my G3LS, I was chasing issues so I just went sod it and bought new. The old carb was very worn out, shame really.

My point was if you send the carb to someone to vapour blast, clean, strip, replace parts etc you could just buy a new carb.

If DIY then its worth a rebuild kit.
Ah, ok. I wonder how many other people have travelled down the same route before only to do as we have done? Must have been thousands spent on old knackered Monoblocs! :)
anthony kosecki

Don't know enough about these things but it was a new carb with just 2000 miles on the clock before it was left to stand undrained for over 40 years. Surely a good internal clean will suffice?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If its bad try an ultrasonic cleaner, you will probably need to strip it down for who ever does, if you are stripping it down any way try using a carb cleaner first, buy a new gasket set for reassembly.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Tony if you know for sure the Monobloc(?) has only 2,000 miles on it I am pretty confident it will still work as new. Why don’t you have a go yourself at servicing it which you will find extremely rewarding. Try to ensure you have the correct size spanners and avoid adjustables. I also find my nylon mallet invaluable on the spanners during disassembly. Obviously avoid any form of jet/orifice cleaning that in any way removes metal. Carb/brake cleaner is essential not least by it demonstrating when drillings are clear. Others may raise eyebrows but I am also a great proponent of very hot water and fully dissolved hand washing powder in the kitchen sink with aluminium, mazak etc as long as thorough very hot water rinsing is used with the heat hiving off the moisture as it dries. Similar solution can be used to boil carbs on the stove. Sounds like all you will need is a service kit. One tip, don’t fit the red fibre washer under the float needle union if it had the metal to metal design union as the needle won’t seat and the carb will leak fuel a plenty. If you take it steady no harm can be done, give it a go!

Iron Head