Magneto Timing Light

Put your recommendations for services in this area. No negative or defammatory comments allowed. Only club members can make recommendations
Mick D

Magneto Timing Light

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Having struggled to accurately time my Ariel FH and on seeing the dire positioning of the mag on my G15 I decided to buy a magneto timing light as supplied by A O Services.

What a joy to use compared to faffing around with fag papers or a 0.005" feeler gauge - thoroughly recommended :D :D

Regards Mick
Groily

Re: Magneto Timing Light

Post by Groily »

Ain't that just the truth Mick? Dog's doo-dahs, especially for G15s and P11s etc with the mag (if fitted) pretty well out of gramble-reach and line-of-sight due to the high primary case. Great investment, and just transforms the whole horrible business!
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

And the club stock these but with out the AO sticker.
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

I agree and have been using one a while especially as you don't have to be on both sides of the bike at once. However it's at the garage 1 1/2 miles away and I needed to check the timing on a bike outside the house. Popped down to get some red rizla and slightly staggered to find the cost a quid. Only need to have bought another 41 and I could have got a second timing light from the club instead. It was good going old school for a change though!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

What's the difference between this product and a bulb with two croc clips? This is a genuine question, not a smarty arse comment.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Groily

Post by Groily »

Bulb won't work on mags, only good for battery & coil systems. Because there's only half an ohm in a mag primary winding which won't affect the bulb whether points are open (half ohm) or shut (0 - in theory).
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

clive wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:08 am Only need to have bought another 41 and I could have got a second timing light from the club instead. It was good going old school for a change though!
By 'eck, Clive. How many bikes are you gonna check? :shock: Up here in the Danelaw we usually cut the rizlas into four for such tasks - and the bit youve used will easily do half a dozen mags if you're careful wi' it ;)

Having said that, I did buy a timing light but the batteries leaked (thanks again, Duracell) between uses and knackered the connections. I now use it with the circuit board connected to an old 6v battery. It still works but to be honest I find the fag paper easier to use and more than accurate enough. Once a mag's set up it's good enough for life unless it needs to be removed for some reason. My G9 was set up over 25 years ago and still runs as well as it always has. Spend the brass on oil and spark plugs instead - or ale :beer:

Steve
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

clive wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:08 am Popped down to get some red rizla and slightly staggered to find the cost a quid.
Maybe put the rest of the packet in Adverts, next owner can take one and pass it on!! :D
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Groily

Post by Groily »

All true, and fag paper's fine for most things. But Mick's main bugbear was the hybrids . . .
As you can see, getting at things on a 500 twingle is easy; on a hybrid - P11 in this case so even worse with hi-pipe as well as primary in the way - not at all easy. Both pix taken at near-as-poss same angle.
mag lack of access hybrid.jpg
mag access 500 twingle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

And further to Groily's clarification - if you can set the points gap with the mag in position you're a better man than me Gungadin ;)
Mag Timing.png
Turning the mag with 1/4" drive socket leaves precious little room for fingers and fag papers let alone sight - money well spent in my opinion.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.